Sunday, December 11, 2016

Game Review: Dishonored

Ever since getting married to my darling husband, the rate of playing Video games has gone way up. Not that I mind at all- like I said in a previous post, actually being surrounded and immersed in these various stories helps my own imagination and creativity grow.

That being said, I'd like to talk a bit about Dishonored.

(Sup bruh I'm creepy as heck and I'm here to take yo money 'n stuff)

Now, I have a relatively high tolerance for "THE DARK STUFF" in video games. That is, death, gore, atmosphere, the likes. After all, I  grew up on ghost stories and scary movies, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the bees knees.

That being said, strangely enough, what I HAD seen of Dishonored before actually experiencing it for myself crossed that threshold. I have no idea why. Between summoning rats to eat your enemies, and setting razor traps to flay your enemies and knocking someone off a bridge while they are peeing off the side it was just... Ick factor.

What I DIDN'T understand is you choose your outcome. You can be violent and dark as all get out, or you can play it straight and try to resolve things in a... Well, relatively peaceful way.

I ALSO didn't account for the A+ storytelling and world this game creates, which explains all the "Dark stuff". 


(Can you say-- Ick much?)

Without getting too spoilerific, the story takes place in a kingdom that is overrun by... Rats. Nasty, aggressive, disease-ridden flesh-eating rats. These disease-ridden rats are turning people basically into crying, vomity zombies.


(Weepers be like- join me in my misery bruh)
You play as a man named Corvo, a very important political figure who is framed for a huge political murder within the first five minutes of the game. A murder that makes everything That Much Worse. 
You're hired by a resistance to get rid of the "political enemies" by killing them or whatever... I mean, you've been framed for murder anyways, so you might as well ACTUALLY be an assassin, right?

Yet you still have your playstyle choice. Be like Ezio and be sneaky sneaky as possible, or just... Y'know, be the unrestrained beast you are and kill everybody you may encounter.


Orrrr you know. Do both. Both is good.

The more violent you are, the more the "chaos" goes up and the more dark and icky the world becomes. "Chaos" is like the richter scale for... Well, Chaos.
That affects the ending of the game, and the general happiness of the people around you.

But there was one big thing I didn't mention. The wildcard.


A strange, surreal force known as "The Outsider" comes and offers you UNIMAGINABLE POWAAAAH. The Outsider is like a mix of an eldritch terror and Loki. He basically gets bored, and intervenes in the lives of people he finds interesting enough.

Between all these elements, a dark, spoopy picture is painted of a surreal world gone wrong, and you're the element that can change the tides between chaos and order.

That being said, I found myself getting sucked in to the story and dialogue. Critics might have something else to say, but I am a sucker for compelling story above all, and it was compelling enough that I suddenly accepted the ick. It's a part of the world, it's a part of the experience, and you don't have to be as ick as the youtubers out there would make you think.

The game wasn't very long, either. It's a straightforward story without an insane amount of sidequests to derail you from ever finishing the main plot... Unlike the later Assassin's Creed games.

(What u say about me, you little-)

I'm jk, Assassin's Creed will always be one of my fav games. But really. How many sidequests can you stuff in a game?


(...No comment)


Anyways Dishonored is well worth the look and the play.

The Mormon Mori, out.


No comments:

Post a Comment