Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Death of a Legend

2017 has started with major celebrity deaths, like Carrie Fischer. But a few days ago, there was a death that rocked my family's world as well as the world of fantasy artists everywhere.

James Christensen

James Christensen has  helped shape the world of fantasy art as we know it now. Before he rose in fame and acclaim, fantasy art was a small, niche thing. Which is strange, considering old masters would call upon myths to make their paintings.
"Fantasy art" at this point was considered "Illustration". There wasn't a correlation between it and fine art as far as many critics believed. More than that, the 80s was largely a tough time for fantasy anything especially in a relgious context, as many Christian denominations were claiming fantasy books, Dungeons and dragons, and other things were "of the devil."

James Christensen broached all of these things, and shattered these misunderstandings. He supported the fantasy and science fiction community, became one of the most famous painters not only in Utah, but the world, was very strongly religious and even taught at the religious university- Brigham Young University. He crossed the line of "Fantasy art" and "Fine art" and paved the way for many illustrators following.

He inspired many, helping them to follow their dreams and perfect their art. He helped teach one of my professors- Illustrator Hala Swearingen as well as being friends with many many other professors in my college's art department.

Most importantly to me, he has inspired my family. He is my mother's favorite artist and has been since she was in college, I grew up with his art on the walls of my home, with his books on our shelves. I recall visiting an exhibit of his claymation figures and being amazed by it. His words also has helped me through times where I was doubting myself heavily.

It all started when my mother read an article he had in the 1989 August New Era where he was interviewed by a writer in the LDS church about his art as well as how it ties into his spirituality. This was the first and-- as far as I know-- Only time that there's been an article about fantasy in any church magazine. More than that, as stated before, this was a tough time for fantasy as it was being contested and many religions was calling it evil. It brought my mother hope, and she looked up the artist and has loved James Christensen ever since.

In case you are wondering what I'm talking about, I have a very special treat of antiquity here- I have the original magazine pages of that New Era article, which I haven't seen anywhere else.









There was a woman on my mission who had years upon years of old church magazines. I told her that if she ever found the August 1989 new Era, I would love to have it for this article, which I had read previously on LDS.org. However, LDS.org did not have any of the art and I LONGED to have and see some fantasy art desperately and have a physical copy of what I found to be comforting words of a fellow artist.

She found it, and gave it to me as a gift. And now, in homage to James Christensen, I give it to you.

A lot of what he says in this article, I still use when describing creativity and my art alongside my religion today.

No comments:

Post a Comment