Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Art Classes

Hey. I've been meaning to start a queue of posts, but this week is... Well. This is it. The Big Week. The Big day. You know. Wedding stuff. Moving stuff. I've even finished art classes.

Ah. Now that's a thing I should talk about. It's important enough.

I have grown up drawing. I always have. Never stopped, either. However, there was a point in time where I was Not So Kosher. There was a very abusive situation where I was convinced that somehow it was 'bad', or 'distracting' to draw. And stopped.

That's when my anxiety and depression truly set in. Now granted, I have had issues with anxiety since I was younger, but I really didn't know the meaning of it until then. It swallowed me whole, and I had no way to cope with it, nor did I understand what exactly was going on.

I realized through that experience that, truly, there were many young people who might be suffering too. With anxiety with no release. That so many schools and homes were inhibiting creative spirits with no way to cope with their feelings. I realized that I wanted to teach others how to  tap into their minds, and find a creative outlet to these negative emotions and mental struggles. To learn to draw from their imaginations, and how to create. I believe that this truly is a way to "self-medicate", "meditate", and is "therapeutic". Also it pushes the brain in ways that math, science, and reading does not.

From that revelation, I not only became outspoken about mental disorders, but I decided I needed to study in Art Education.

Upon coming home from the university for the summer, I didn't want my education to stop. I wanted to take a job in something that would further my career. But everywhere I turned, I didn't find anything. I eventually got a part time job at Ross Dress for Less, but... That's different. I realized, while sitting at the pughs at church, why not teach art classes from home to the community?

I inquired about the interest in the Relief Society (The women's group) two hours later and passed around a piece of paper I tore from my notebook to get the information of those interested. The paper was nearly full with names and numbers. And I decided right then that I would do it. Starting the next week.

Here was some of the photos I took, and the resulting art gallery:
(The youngest girl in the group, three years of age. I have decided that teaching young children is not my forte, and there is a reason why I am not teaching preschool. But oh gosh, how precious is it to see teenies create!)

 (Art demo with my adult class with the freelance local Illustrator, Keliana Tayler)

(My older kid group trying to draw light and shadow with all white objects. The results were... Extraordinarily abstract, but it sure was fun!)



(In the course of one day, I turned my family's house into an art gallery. I mounted and framed the student's artwork, made it look nice and presentable, and with my mother's help made cookies and punch. It turned out really good!)

Of course, it didn't go without it's hitches and bumps in the road. Summer is a really hard time to coordinate classes since so many are off on vacation and miss a few weeks, and there's SO MUCH going on!! Some activities worked better than others as well... But the experience was invaluable. I learned so much, and I'm SO PROUD of these kids!! It cemented my desire to teach art.

Nothing was more heartwarming than having one of the struggling students come to me afterwards and say "I really want my mom to buy me a coloring book so I can learn to color better!" or having a parent come up to me and say "My child just told me how much she LOVED art, and LOVED your class!"

Although at times I felt like I might have been a bad teacher, or was frustrated, the results were well worth it.

The MOST IMPORTANT things that I learned from this experience and one I want to share with you, dear readers, are these:

-FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS. BE DRIVEN. HAVE ASPIRATIONS, AND DO IT. If you can't find your niche or a job that suits you, then make your own and see it through til the end. It might be hard work. Sometimes you might want to pull out your hair and cry to the heavens "WHY THE HECK DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF" but in the end, you will be happy. It's always worth it.
-REACH OUT TO YOUR COMMUNITY. ALWAYS. They will love and support you more than you realize. My neighborhood, despite not living here for three years, have been SO supportive and loving. They not only helped throw and all came to my bridal shower, to the point there was STANDING ROOM ONLY, but this art class couldn't have happened with them.

-BE PROACTIVE. ALWAYS. You're the one who is gonna make this happen, you gotta follow through. Set reminders and goals for yourself, write it on your hand, your forehead, leave post it notes on the wall, whatever it takes to reach out to the people and do what you need to do. Set goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment